Looking for some delicious recipes to add variety to your meals and fill you up? Then try these oyster mushroom recipes!
Oyster mushrooms are meaty, tasty, and easy to cook with, making them the perfect vegan substitute for meat.
I have curated a collection of the 40+ best oyster mushroom recipes that will turn you into a mushroom lover from the very first recipe you try.
Oyster mushrooms have the most delicious chewy, meaty texture and slightly umami flavor.
What is best is that they are incredibly versatile, and you can make all kinds of different dishes with them, from vegan shredded chicken to steaks, stir-fries, and even soup.
They are also great for vegans who are in search of a natural meat alternative, especially if you tend to have sensitivities to ingredients commonly found in store-bought meat replacements.
There are so many ways to cook with oyster mushrooms that every recipe is going to become your new favorite.
Give these oyster mushroom recipes a try. Trust me, you will not be disappointed!
- Types of oyster mushrooms
- Health benefits of oyster mushrooms
- How to prepare oyster mushrooms
- Oyster mushroom FAQs
- Featured oyster mushroom recipe
- Best pearl oyster mushroom recipes
- Best king oyster mushroom recipes
- The best vegan oyster mushroom recipes
- More recipe roundups
- 40 Oyster Mushroom Recipes You Need to Try
Types of oyster mushrooms
So, what different types of oyster mushrooms are there? Although there are more than 200 varieties, you will most likely come across one of seven common types of oyster mushrooms.
These are namely pearl, king, golden, blue, pink, black, and phoenix oyster mushrooms. If you are wondering where to buy oyster mushrooms, fortunately, it’s not that difficult nowadays.
The most well-known of these seven that are readily available in grocery stores are pearl oyster mushrooms and king oyster mushrooms.
King Oyster Mushrooms vs Pearl Oyster Mushrooms
- Pearl oysters (Pleurotus ostreatus) have short (or absent) stems and wide, fan-shaped caps that resemble an oyster shell.
- King oysters (Pleurotus eryngii) have large thick trumpet-shaped stems shaped like a trumpet with rather small caps in a darker brown color.
Health benefits of oyster mushrooms
If you are concerned about whether or not oyster mushrooms are good for you, then you would be happy to know that they definitely are.
Oyster mushrooms are a great source of the following nutrients:
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid)
How to prepare oyster mushrooms
Lucky for you, I have written a complete guide on how to prepare oyster mushrooms. This is all because of just how much I enjoy cooking with them.
Here is a quick rundown of what you need to keep in mind, especially if you are wondering how to clean oyster mushrooms:
- Avoid washing fresh oyster mushrooms. This is because it can cause them to lose their flavor and spoil easily. Depending on how you store oyster mushrooms, they will not last even a day while wet.
- I do recommend washing dried ones by rinsing them in cold running water to remove any debris.
- For fresh ones, cut the end and wipe it gently using a paper towel. Once you do this for each mushroom individually, you will find that they are clean enough to use.
- Do not peel oyster mushrooms since the skin is no different from its flesh.
Oyster mushroom FAQs
It does have a bit of a nutty, earthy taste, but it doesn’t have a very strong aroma. If you haven’t been a fan of fungi, this one will change your mind. If you still need a substitute, head over to our list of 13 oyster mushroom substitutes.
It is safe to eat oyster mushrooms raw but they have a slightly metallic taste when uncooked, so I recommend cooking them before you eat them.
There are actually 11 ways to cook oyster mushrooms, from pan-frying to braising and even smoking them. This collection of recipes will give you many ways to cook and enjoy them, but you can check out my complete guide on how to cook oyster mushrooms for more information.
Featured oyster mushroom recipe
Pan-fried Green Herb Oyster Mushroom
If you are looking for THE oyster mushroom recipe you can serve as a side dish, this will surely be your favorite.
It features green herbs like thyme and parsley with a smidgen of chili peppers and a splash of lemon juice.
This oyster mushroom dish beautifully brings out the natural mushroom flavor that can accompany any main course.
Best pearl oyster mushroom recipes
As I explained before, there is a difference between pearl and king oyster mushrooms not only in appearance but in how you prepare them, how you cook with them, and what kind of recipes are suitable to use them in. Here are our favorite recipes using pearl oyster mushrooms.
1. Teriyaki Oyster Mushroom Steak
This recipe takes a whole cluster of oyster mushrooms and fries them pushed down until they are as crispy as mushrooms can be.
It is an absolutely unique and delicious way to serve them.
2. Creamy Cajun Oyster Mushroom Pasta
This is an easy and creamy Cajun pasta recipe with pearl oyster mushrooms and bell peppers that you can make in 30 minutes.
If you like spicy and creamy pasta dishes, this recipe will be just the perfect way to try oyster mushrooms.
3. Thai Red Curry Tofu With Mushrooms
If you prefer bold curry flavors, try this creamy Thai red curry recipe with pearl oyster mushroom, tofu, and green peas.
Serve it with steamed basmati or jasmine rice and your delicious dinner is ready!
4. Thai Oyster Mushroom Noodle Stir Fry
If you are looking for an easy Thai noodle stir fry recipe, try this recipe with sauteed oyster mushrooms.
It’s aromatic, delicious, and has a kick of spice. I promise you, this oyster mushroom stir fry is better with a spicy kick
5. Teriyaki Stir Fry
If you are craving a hot and spicy quick meal, try this teriyaki stir fry recipe with oyster mushrooms and Brussels sprouts.
It is better than takeout, especially as you can make a homemade Teriyaki sauce from scratch.
6. Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms
Seriously, you cannot miss this polenta with roasted mushroom recipe.
Just imagine a creamy polenta seasoned with thyme served with oven-roasted pearl oyster mushrooms drizzled with red wine vinegar.
Are you drooling yet? I know I am.
7. Hummus Quesadilla (Without Cheese)
This hummus quesadillas recipe is packed with oyster mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion seasoned with a fajita spice mix.
Plus, black beans and avocado make the pan-fried veggie filling even more hearty.
8. Crispy Oyster Mushroom Tacos
This is one of the best meatless, vegetarian taco recipes ever.
Add your favorite fillings like guacamole, roasted veggies, black beans, and these crispy oyster mushrooms.
You’re in for a treat!
9. Rice Paper Egg Rolls
Rice paper is such a versatile ingredient, and you can substitute it for all kinds of wrappers, including egg roll wrappers.
Fill up your rice paper sheets with shredded cabbage, carrot, spring onion, and, of course, crispy oyster mushrooms.
10. Vietnamese Spring Rolls (Fresh Summer Rolls)
Fresh summer rolls are a popular Vietnamese appetizer served raw and cold.
The filling includes glass noodles, shredded lettuce, carrot, sprouts, fresh basil, and mint leaves, as well as crispy oyster mushrooms.
11. Smoky Red Beans and Rice
This recipe has a great twist to make a classic New Orleans dish stand out.
You have a rich, filling, and flavor-packed red beans and rice recipe with inexpensive ingredients.
But what makes it special is the smoky pearl oyster mushrooms.
Best king oyster mushroom recipes
This type is sturdier than pearl ones with a quite hard stem. Therefore, you’ll see that different kinds of recipes are using them. Here are my favorite recipes using king oyster mushrooms.
12. Vegan Yakitori (Japanese BBQ Skewers)
The sturdy texture of king oyster mushrooms makes them a perfect candidate for BBQ skewers.
These Yakitori skewers look just stunning. The mushroom slices are covered with a tare sauce like Teriyaki.
13. Vegan Mushroom Tikka Masala
Shredded king oyster mushrooms are accompanied in this tikka masala recipe with chickpeas and spinach.
They are cooked in a creamy sauce seasoned with garam masala, cardamom, coriander, cumin, paprika, nutmeg, and ginger.
It is served with basmati rice and naan bread.
14. Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup
If you are looking for a rich and hearty soup, try this Vietnamese pho noodle soup recipe.
It is packed with tofu and king oysters in an aromatic veggie broth seasoned with incredible pantry staple spices.
This king oyster soup is absolutely fantastic.
15. Rigatoni with Wild Mushroom Sauce
Who doesn’t love a creamy pasta dish?
The best part of making this rigatoni with wild mushroom sauce for dinner is that it is quick, easy, and on the table in 15 minutes.
This recipe will turn any mushroom hater into a mushroom lover.
16. Mustard Greens Salad
If you need something light and refreshing, why don’t you try this mustard greens salad?
This light lunch is packed with smoky king oyster mushroom slices you will love.
Plus, it has bell pepper, shredded cabbage, shallots, and lots of mustard greens drizzled with a creamy tahini dressing.
The best vegan oyster mushroom recipes
They are one of the best vegan meat alternatives out there. Why? I give you 6 reasons:
- Allergy-friendly as there are no soy, nuts, or gluten
- Pantry staple since they are usually quite a common mushroom to store at home
- Easy to buy since they are usually available in all local stores (unlike jackfruit, seitan, or tempeh). Here is where to buy them.
- Cheaper than company-branded products
- Neutral in taste, so they soak up any seasoning or marinade you add. There are at least 11 ways to cook them.
- Tough spongy texture is perfect to replicate this gummy, sturdy meaty texture.
17. BBQ Vegan Pulled Pork Burger (Mushroom)
Thanks to their meaty texture, king oyster mushrooms can be turned into crispy, juicy pulled mushrooms with this recipe.
Serve it with a light coleslaw salad, and you have yourself a delicious dinner or lunch.
18. Sautéed Oyster Mushrooms
This oyster mushroom recipe is incredibly delicious to make and requires only 5 ingredients.
The best part is that it can be made from scratch in less than 15 minutes.
19. Vegan Gyros (Shredded Mushrooms)
Look at these stunning vegan gyros in pita bread.
It features hand-shredded pearl oyster mushrooms marinated in a Greek-style seasoning and baked in the oven until they’re crispy.
The meaty texture of these mushrooms is perfect without the fatty after-taste. Perfect!
20. Perfect Vegan Philly Cheesesteak
Have you heard of a perfect vegan Philly cheesesteak? This one is it.
Instead of shaved beefsteak, it uses well-seasoned shredded pearl oyster mushrooms sauteed for a crispy finish, and served with some vegan cheese on top.
It is the best vegan sandwich ever!
21. Vegan Breakfast Hash
Would you have thought you can bake or grill shredded pearl oyster mushrooms until they are as crispy as jerky?
They are a great addition to this vegan breakfast hash with a ton of veggies and roasted potatoes of course.
22. Vegan Chicken and Dumplings
Instead of chicken, this recipe uses shredded king oyster mushrooms for a meaty texture and savory flavor.
And instead of traditional wheat dumplings, these dumplings are made with potatoes for a heartier, more filling dish.
Perfect for a cozy night in or any time you’re craving some vegan comfort food!
23. Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
Warm up with a comforting bowl of vegan chicken noodle soup!
This recipe swaps out traditional chicken for shredded king oyster mushrooms, which give the soup a similar meaty texture and umami flavor.
The soup is packed with veggies like carrots, celery, and onion, and uses noodles for a satisfying slurp.
24. Vegan White Chili
If you’re a fan of chili but want to switch up your usual recipe, try this vegan white chili!
This recipe uses shredded king oyster mushrooms to create a meaty texture and white beans and corn to add heartiness and sweetness to the dish.
It’s a satisfying and flavorful meal that’s perfect for cozy nights in or for feeding a crowd.
25. Rice Paper Dumplings (Chinese Potstickers)
This recipe featured shredded king oyster mushrooms baked in hoisin sauce.
It is then used as a filling to make vegan dumplings together with cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts.
You will love these vegan dumplings.
26. Creamy Fettucine with Vegan Scallops
You would think that it is hard to mimic seafood with veggies? Think twice!
This creamy fettuccini with king oyster mushroom discs as vegan scallops would be absolutely delicious.
It is a pasta dish quick to make and even quicker to disappear.
27. Vegan No Clam Chowder
Are you a fan of thick, creamy, and rich chowders? Well, this vegan no clam chowder will knock your socks off.
It is a vegan Boston-style chowder with king oyster mushrooms, a thick cashew cream and kombu seaweed broth. So yummy!
28. Vegan Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)
This vegan bulgogi is a vegan version of the classic Korean BBQ beef.
It’s made with oyster mushrooms to recreate this popular Korean dish and will give you a meaty flavor.
It is savory, sweet, and spicy.
29. Vegan Shrimp
Aren’t these vegan shrimps super cute?
This recipe features king oyster mushrooms chopped in a special way and then dipped in a spicy breadcrumbs mix and baked in the oven until crispy.
It is the perfect finger food or addition to salads, sandwiches or other dishes.
30. King Oyster Mushroom Steak
This is what it is, a perfect king oyster mushroom steak.
It is an oven baked steak seasoned with thyme and garlic served with cream potatoes and crispy kale.
King oysters are perfect for make steak-like dishes with their sturdy, chewy texture.
31. Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
I used my vegan shredded chicken recipe to make this vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Do you know how to make a cheezy, gooey cream cheese sauce that is not only vegan but nut-free and soy-free as well?
The not-so-secret ingredient is cannellini beans.
Wanna know more?
32. Vegan Fried Chicken
Some call this dish deep-fried oyster mushrooms, some call it vegan chicken.
Whatever name you chose you can be sure that making this recipe will give you chewy mushrooms in a spicy, crunchy coating.
They are delicious.
33. Buffalo Vegan Chicken Wings
If you are looking for meatless plant-based chicken wings alternative, you’ll love these deep-fried pearl oyster mushrooms.
They feature a crunchy coating which is then baked in a generous layer of hot buffalo sauce.
34. Roasted Pink Oyster Mushrooms
If you have gotten your hands on pink oyster mushrooms, try this recipe.
These roasted oyster mushrooms are slightly sweet, savory, and packed with umami flavors.
The chewy, meaty texture makes them perfect for meatless tacos, burgers, and bruschetta.
35. Vegan Orange Chicken (Copycat Panda Express)
If you want to make the aromatic Panda Express Orange chicken at home, this recipe will give you the best vegetarian version.
The oyster mushrooms are the star of this dish, and you will love this recipe.
36. Air Fried King Oyster Mushroom Jerky
If you have an air fryer you can replicate beef jerky easily by using king oyster mushrooms.
The strips are marinated in a smoky, spicy seasoning and air fried until they have the perfect crispy jerky texture.
It is absolutely delicious.
37. Vegan Mushroom Pate
This recipe features oyster mushrooms with cremini mushrooms and walnuts.
It is then seasoned with thyme, sherry and truffle oil will give you a delicious spread or party appetizer.
This vegan mushroom pate recipe has an intense and rich taste. Who knew pate can be this good?
38. Pad Woon Sen (Thai Glass Noodles Stir Fry)
This classic pad woon sen recipe is completely meatball and features tofu scramble and marinated oyster mushrooms.
It is packed with flavor thanks to the sweet and salty sauce. You will love it.
39. Vegan Shredded Chicken
With just some oyster mushrooms and homemade buffalo sauce, you can make the tastiest vegan shredded chicken.
It is simple, tasty, and so versatile.
40. Vegan Chicken Sandwich
If you want a tasty vegan chicken sandwich, then this recipe is what you need.
Marinated oyster mushrooms make the vegan chicken strips that are then smothered in a creamy, rich tikka masala sauce.
It’s easy, delicious, and everything you are looking for.
THANK YOU so much for visiting our website. Please comment below if you have tried this recipe. We LOVE hearing from you! If you loved the recipe, please don’t forget to give us a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ RATING. We appreciate all of our readers.
40 Oyster Mushroom Recipes You Need to Try
- Pan-fried Green Herb Oyster Mushroom
- Teriyaki Oyster Mushroom Steak
- Creamy Cajun Oyster Mushroom Pasta
- Thai Red Curry Tofu With Mushrooms
- Thai Oyster Mushroom Noodle Stir Fry
- Teriyaki Stir Fry
- Polenta with Roasted Mushrooms
- Hummus Quesadilla (Without Cheese)
- Crispy Oyster Mushroom Tacos
- Rice Paper Egg Rolls
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls (Fresh Summer Rolls)
- Smoky Red Beans and Rice
- Vegan Yakitori (Japanese BBQ Skewers)
- Vegan Mushroom Tikka Masala
- Vietnamese Pho Noodle Soup
- Rigatoni with Wild Mushroom Sauce
- Mustard Greens Salad
- BBQ Vegan Pulled Pork Burger (Mushroom)
- Sautéed Oyster Mushrooms
- Vegan Gyros (Shredded Mushrooms)
- Perfect Vegan Philly Cheesesteak
- Vegan Breakfast Hash
- Vegan Chicken and Dumplings
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Vegan White Chili
- Rice Paper Dumplings (Chinese Potstickers)
- Creamy Fettucine with Vegan Scallops
- Vegan No Clam Chowder
- Vegan Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)
- Vegan Shrimp
- King Oyster Mushroom Steak
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Vegan Fried Chicken
- Buffalo Vegan Chicken Wings
- Roasted Pink Oyster Mushrooms
- Vegan Orange Chicken (Copycat Panda Express)
- Air Fried King Oyster Mushroom Jerky
- Vegan Mushroom Pate
- Pad Woon Sen (Thai Glass Noodles Stir Fry)
- Vegan Shredded Chicken
- Vegan Chicken Sandwich
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep and cook a delicious oyster mushroom recipe!