It is possible to have a creamy vegan spinach soup without adding any dairy-free milk or cream. The not-so-secret ingredient is the potato. That’s right whole foods all the way! It technically makes this recipe more of a vegan spinach and potato soup though. I hope you don’t mind. 🙂
Let’s talk about spinach recipes!
I hated any dish with spinach for so long. I have tried garlic sautéed spinach, spinach pottage, spinach salad, and spinach pesto pasta. But none of them was a hit back then.
Until one day I had creamy spinach soup with mozzarella balls on a lunch menu at a hotel. I was hungry, so having no other choice I tried it. And it was awesome! I don’t know what was I thinking not loving spinach before. So for years, we have perfected our spinach soup recipe to get it as close as possible to the one I ate at the hotel. Finally, I think we figured it out. The secret is the potato. Who knew, right?
This spinach soup recipe became even the FAVOURITE soup of our older daughter. Seriously…
By the way, this recipe is also part of our Quick Vegan Meals collection.
How to make vegan spinach soup?
You need only 5-ingredients. Nothing fancy or hard to get. Whole foods all the way: onions, garlic, spinach, potato, and vegetable broth.
Step 1 – Prepare your vegetables
Wash the fresh spinach leaves. Peel and finely chop the onion and the garlic. Peel and dice the potatoes. You can shorten the cooking time by dicing the potatoes smaller like 1 * 1 inch.
Step 2 – Cook your vegan spinach soup
Cook onion and garlic in olive oil. Add spinach to sautée them a bit. (For WFPB-friendly recipe add them directly to the veggie broth.) When the spinach is slightly wilted, pour the vegetable broth and add the peeled and diced potatoes. Cook until potatoes are soft and blend it with a hand blender or regular blender until smooth and creamy. Easy peasy.
[Tweet “Ridiculously easy and quick vegan spinach soup. No fancy or hard to get ingredients. via @mypureplants”]
How to serve this easy spinach soup?
We tried it with so many different garnishes like
- breadsticks (I like these Schar gluten-free breadsticks)
- vegetable chips (I usually buy a beetroot – sweet potato – parsnip mix from Aldi, but this one looks very similar)
- croutons or crackers
- trail mix
- veggie balls/veggie patties
- vegan mozzarella balls
What is your favorite spinach soup garnish?
Nutritious cream of spinach soup
Spinach is the first thing you think of when you hear iron-rich leafy green. It is low carb but high in fiber. Spinach is also rich in Vitamin A, C, K1, calcium, folic acid, and iron. Not to mention…
Did you know that spinach belongs to the amaranth family and is related to beets and quinoa? /Healthline/
All these nutrients are important for everyone, but calcium, folic acid and iron especially important for pregnant or breastfeeding moms. That’s why I always add a handful of spinach to my Green Lactation Smoothie.
This cream of spinach soup is vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free, nut-free, grain-free, gluten-free and WFPB-friendly (whole foods plant-based). More recipes with spinach.
If you try this recipe, let us know. Leave a comment and rate it below.
Shop this recipe
What more you need to try it? If you’re ready, watch this short video:
Cream of Spinach Soup Vegan
- Wash the fresh spinach leaves. Peel and finely chop onion and garlic. Peel and dice potatoes. The smaller you dice them, the shorter will be your cooking time.
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat until olive oil is shimmering. Add the chopped onion and garlic coat it with the oil and spread evenly. Stir occasionally. (For WFPB diet - cook them in veggie broth directly.)
- Once onion is tender but still white, add the fresh spinach leaves and stir until wilted.
- Now add vegetable broth and the diced potatoes. Cook them until tender 15-20 minutes.
- Use a hand blender and puree them thoroughly. Now add the salt and pepper to taste. Ready to serve it.