I believe a caramel cheesecake needs no introduction, but in any case here you go.
When I discovered the wonderfully extensive world of dairy-free desserts, cashew cream was the first I have tried. In fact, I baked the same cashew cream cheesecake three times for my daughter’s 2nd birthday. One for home celebration and two when we went to each grandparent. Everybody loved cashew cream and you know why? Because it is very easy to make, has a smooth texture and rich in flavor, just to mention a few. Caramel is so to speak “just” a delicious added bonus.
Most of the cashew cream cheesecakes have raw vegan bases as cashew cream is also raw and needs no cooking time. However, I am not always in the mood for dates and more nuts that can overpower the caramel taste. So I baked a simple chocolate sponge cake for the base. This way the cake is very light and crumbly. If you want you can probably eat 2-3 slices (depending on the size of the slice of course).
We call this caramel cheesecake Snickers cake as it has all the good things a Snickers bar has:
The whole cake is gluten-free, but normal wheat flour will work just as fine. It is dairy-free, egg-free, so can easily be added to a vegan or vegetarian diet. I try to avoid white sugar as much as possible, but especially for this cake I really like that the coconut sugar already has a slight caramel taste.
If you try this recipe, let us know. Leave a comment and rate it below.
Shop this recipe
Caramel Cheesecake aka Snickers Cake
No-bake Caramel Cheesecake
Cake base - Dry ingredients
- Soak cashew nuts in water overnight. Or if you are in a rush, soak them for 5 minutes in boiling hot water.
- Put the can of coconut cream into the fridge overnight so that the cream part is separated and you can spoon it out easily.
- Add coconut sugar and coconut cream to a pan and cook them together for 5-10 minutes until you smell caramel. It will not thicken as we will only use it to add flavor to our cream. When ready, chill it for a bit.
- Add the chilled caramel and finish blending.
Choose your favorite no-bake base or make a baked chocolate cake base
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180 degrees).
- For the cake batter, first mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- To make one flax egg. Add 3 Tbsp water to 1 Tbsp ground flax seeds and wait a couple of minutes until it reaches an egg-like texture.
- In a smaller bowl pour the lemon juice on the baking soda and wait a couple of seconds so that it creates a foam. Than add immediately to your mixture and mix thoroughly.
- If you want a clean job, put cake base back to the cake form after removing the parchment paper and pour the caramel cream on the top.
Assembly and chilling
- Pour the caramel cream on top of your cake base. Sprinkle it with peanut bits and/or chocolate chips.
- Chill the whole cake in the fridge for 1-2 hours or 20 minutes in the freezer.