This light and refreshing cold cucumber soup is the perfect answer to a hot summer day. With fresh cucumber as its star ingredient alongside avocado, garlic, and flavorful herbs, it is a nutritious choice for any meal. It is also easy to make and ready in just 15 minutes!
What to expect?
This simple cold soup is a raw, no-cook dish made with 100% fresh vegetables. It is very similar to the Spanish-style soup, gazpacho, but without tomatoes. With cucumber, avocado, shallot, garlic, and cilantro as its main ingredients, it is a light and refreshing soup that will fill you up without weighing you down.
Here is why you will love this cold cucumber soup recipe:
- It does not take much time to make – It only takes 15 minutes of prep time and can be served immediately.
- It is simple to make – This recipe has only nine ingredients, all of which you can easily find in your local grocery store.
- It is 100% fresh – This recipe uses no dried herbs or artificial ingredients. Everything is raw and fresh.
- It is perfect for batch cooking – As a chilled cucumber soup, this recipe is easy to make in advance and keep in the refrigerator for up to a few days.
- It is packed with nutrients – Cucumbers are the main star of this dish. They are rich in antioxidants and nutrients, such as vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B, potassium, fiber, and magnesium.
This cold cucumber soup is made with 100% fresh and crisp ingredients. With less than ten components, this recipe is not just nutritious but extremely easy to make:
- Cucumber (diced) – I recommend large European cucumbers
- Shallot – You can also use yellow onion or red onion
- Garlic clove – Lightly crushed
- Cilantro leaves (fresh) – Washed, chopped, and loosely packed
- Lemon juice – Freshly squeezed
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper – You can also use white pepper for the flavor without the heat
🛒 You can find detailed measurements for all ingredients in the printable version of the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- To prepare, coarsely dice your cucumber, shallot, and cilantro leaves.
- Cut the avocado in half and spoon out the soft, ripe insides.
Making cold cucumber soup
- Add the cucumber, shallot, and cilantro to a blender.
- Next, add the avocado flesh and lightly crushed garlic clove.
- Add the olive oil, fresh lemon juice, water, salt, and pepper.
- Blend the mix until it comes smooth and creamy. Add more lemon juice and water as needed.
- Once the soup reaches its desired consistency, place it in the refrigerator for one hour. Serve cold and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped cilantro, and fresh ground pepper.
- Only use fresh ingredients – This raw vegetable soup tastes best with fresh, crisp ingredients. For the fullest flavor, avoid using dried herbs.
- Chill the soup – Although refrigerating is optional, it is highly recommended as it will allow the flavors to settle into the soup. The longer it stays refrigerated, the more mature the flavors will be. If you don’t have time to chill it for 1-2 hours, place it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir before serving – Since the soup will settle in the refrigerator, give it a stir before serving it to loosen it up and distribute the flavors.
Cold cucumber soup is absolutely delicious when served as-is. However, you can kick up its flavor a notch by trying one of these several variations:
- Cucumber gazpacho soup – Try it with fresh tomatoes, bell pepper, mint leaves, basil leaves, and chives for a cucumber version of my watermelon soup.
- Different herbs – Enhance the flavors with other fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, tarragon, ginger, or mint.
- With heat – Spice it up by adding chili flakes or jalapeno to the blend or as a garnish.
- With yogurt – Thicken up the soup even more by adding plain Greek yogurt or sour cream.
This chilled cucumber soup is satisfying and refreshing no matter when or how you eat it. Below are a few of the ways you can serve yours:
- Soup and sandwich: Serve it alongside a classic grilled cheese sandwich (as seen in our Express Vegan cookbook) or our delicious vegan egg salad sandwich.
- Soup and salad: A crisp, leafy green salad perfectly complements fresh green soup.
- Soup and breadsticks: Serve it alongside garlic breadsticks, toast, or a slice of crusty bread.
- With toppings: Top it with chopped herbs, veggies, or spices to boost its flavor. You can also try it with vegan bacon bits.
- With croutons: Throw a few croutons on top to give it some crunch.
- Drizzled with citrus: Drizzle it with fresh lemon or lime juice for a tangy, citrusy twist.
In the refrigerator – Since this is a cold soup, it tastes best when refrigerated. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
In the freezer – I do not recommend freezing as the texture of the cucumbers and consistency of the soup will not be the same once thawed.
Since cucumber soup is meant to be served chilled, I do not recommend warming it. Not only will it lose its delicious taste, but it will lose its refreshing touch.
As a cold soup, cucumber soup is perfect for batch cooking and making in advance. Store the finished soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and serve it when you are ready.
A high-powered blender will produce the creamiest soup. However, if you do not have a blender, you can blend it in a large bowl with an immersion blender or make it in a food processor. Run it through a fine mesh sleeve if necessary to remove any clumps before serving.
More blended soup recipes
THANK YOU so much for visiting our website. Please comment below if you have tried this recipe. We LOVE hearing from you! If you loved the recipe, please don’t forget to give us a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ RATING. We appreciate all of our readers.
Cold Cucumber Soup
- 1 Cucumber (large) diced
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Shallot
- 1 clove Garlic
- ¼ cup Fresh cilantro washed, chopped, loosely packed
- 3-4 Tbsp Lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Sea salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- Coarsely dice the cucumber, shallot, and cilantro leaves.
- Add to a blender, along with the avocado flesh and lightly crushed garlic clove.
- Add the olive oil, 3 Tbsp lemon juice, 2 Tbsp water, salt, and pepper.
- Blend until smooth. Add more lemon juice and water as needed.
- Once desired consistency is reached, cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour before serving to allow the flavours to develop.
- Served cold with a drizzle of olive oil, chopped cilantro, and fresh ground black pepper.
Top tips to make a delicious soup
- You need fresh ingredients! → It is a raw vegetable soup, so freshness is crucial.
- Serve after chilled! → The flavors will mature if you chill the soup in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours. The soup will change color a bit (it gets darker) as the veggies and the fruit starts to break down and come together. We recommend eating it within 3 days. It is raw food, it can get spoiled fast.
- Fresh or dried herbs? → Well, it will not be quite the same if you use dried herbs.