These fudgy, moist, and decadent vegan sweet potato brownies are topped with creamy sweet potato chocolate frosting and sliced almonds. No eggs, no dairy, no gluten, but definitely full of flavors.
Sweet potato is such an amazing vegetable. You can enjoy it in so many ways. We love them as Sweet Potato Gnocchis or in our Vegan Mac and Cheese, but we also love them in our Vegan Chocolate Pudding. Yes, you heard it right. We even use this recipe for the chocolate frosting of this brownie. 🙂
Sweet potato brownies are a somewhat healthier alternative to regular brownies. Well, there is a veggie in it, so it can be justified, right? 😉 Right. This healthy-ish, vegan, and gluten-free sweet potato brownie recipe has 9 ingredients:
- sweet potato puree (our homemade baked purple sweet potato puree recipe)
- dairy-free milk (our homemade cashew milk recipe)
- nut butter
- oat flour
- brown rice flour
- ground almonds
- cane sugar
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
In this recipe, I used the puree of a baked purple sweet potato. You will find step photos for ‘How to bake a purple sweet potato?‘ in our Vegan Chocolate Pudding recipe. Surprise! The main ingredient of the chocolate frosting we will use is also a baked purple sweet potato. Tada! Veggies are everywhere.
Why do we call it healthy sweet potato brownie?
Sweet potato is highly nutritious. We love to work with it for the following reasons:
- It gives extra sweetness to any dish…
- …not to mention it has a lovely, candied chestnutty flavor.
- It is extremely high in Vitamin A (beta-carotene).
- The purple-colored sweet potato contains the most antioxidants among all sweet potatoes.
If you would like to read more about nutrition, here is an article about the health benefits of sweet potato on Healthline.
For this recipe, I used homemade purple sweet potato puree, where I baked the sweet potato and used the soft mashed puree as the main ingredient. It is easier than you think. You will find step photos for ‘How to bake a purple sweet potato?‘ in our Vegan Chocolate Pudding recipe.
Okay, let’s start.
First, add sweet potato puree, dairy-free milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract to your blender or food processor and blend until smooth (photos #1-4). For one batch I usually use only a small bowl and my hand blender.
In a separate bowl, mix oat flour, brown rice flour, ground almonds, cane sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder with a spatula (photos #1-2). Now, add the wet ingredients (photo #3) and mix them thoroughly (photo #4).
Bake your brownies in an oven-safe pan on 390 Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celcius) for about 30 minutes. It should have a nice, hard crust on the top and should be fudgy and moist inside.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
We have this amazing 5-ingredient sweet potato-based chocolate frosting we usually use to top these fudgy vegan sweet potato brownies. Both for the frosting and for the brownies we bake the sweet potato from scratch, so it is easier to make a larger batch. For 1-min video, step photos and other top tips, visit our Vegan Chocolate Pudding recipe.
FAQ and Substitutions
Can I use orange sweet potato instead of purple?
Yes, of course. You’re welcome to use baked orange sweet potato puree.
Can I use canned sweet potato puree?
I baked the purple sweet potato from scratch and I haven’t tested this recipe with canned sweet potato. Please do let me know in the comments if you try it. I’d love to know.
Can I use all-purpose flour?
We eat gluten-free so I have never tested this recipe with any type of wheat flour. If you do, please let us know in the comments.
Can this recipe be made nut-free?
Yes, you can use oat flour instead of ground almonds, and regular dairy-free butter (margarine) instead of peanut butter. I tried them with these substitutions and the outcome is as delicious as the original one.
Can I use different sweetener to make it low-carb?
Sure you can, although I only tested this recipe with cane sugar and coconut sugar (the same amount is needed). Therefore, I am not familiar with the measurements for other sweeteners like stevia or erythritol. If you do, please let us know in the comments.
This vegan sweet potato brownies recipe is dairy-free and egg-free.
- Vegan – All ingredients are supposed to be vegan.
- Nut-free – You can use dairy-free butter (aka margarine) instead of peanut butter to make it nut-free. You should also use dairy-free milk that is not nut milk, like oat milk or rice milk. We also used ground almonds/almond flour, but you can use more oat flour to skip that. It will have a slightly different more cakey texture.
- WFPB-friendly (whole foods plant-based) – No oil is used in this recipe, but you need to use coconut sugar or another compliant dry sweetener instead of cane sugar. As far as I know, oat flour and brown rice flour are compliant ingredients.
- Gluten-free – You should pay attention to buying certified gluten-free flours. It is also better to check if you have gluten-free baking powder and peanut butter, but all other ingredients should be gluten-free.
- Soy-free – Apart from not using soy milk, all ingredients are supposed to be soy-free.
More vegan dessert recipes
You can browse through our vegan dessert recipes or check out
THANK YOU so much for visiting our website. Please comment below if you have tried this recipe. We LOVE hearing from you! If you loved the recipe, please don’t forget to give us a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ RATING. We appreciate all of our readers.
Vegan Sweet Potato Brownies
- Blender / food processor / hand blender
Vegan Sweet Potato Brownies – Wet ingredients
How to make baked sweet potato puree?
- Wash your sweet potato and poke with a couple of times with a fork or a sharp knife. Depending on size, bake them for at least 30 minutes at 390 Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celcius) without oil or any additional seasoning. I like to use a glass baking dish. Although you can use any baking tray or baking sheet. You know the sweet potatoes are ready if the skin looks shriveled and soft, and you can pierce it easily with a fork. Let it cool before peeling and using its mashed puree for this recipe. For step photos and top tips, visit our Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding recipe.
Vegan Sweet Potato Brownies
- Combine all wet ingredients: Add baked sweet potato puree, dairy-free milk, peanut butter, and vanilla extract to your blender or food processor and blend until smooth. I usually use only a small bowl and my hand blender for one batch.
- Combine all dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix oat flour, brown rice flour, ground almonds, cane sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder with a spatula.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix them with a spatula.
- Take an 8×8 oven-safe pan and line it with parchment paper. Pour your mixture on it and smooth it to be even.
- Preheat oven to 390 Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celcius) and bake your fudgy sweet potato brownies for about 30 minutes. It should have a nice hard crust on the top. If you poke it with a sharp knife, it still comes out a bit wet but not sticky.
- After the brownies cooled down, I topped them with chocolate pudding (Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Pudding recipe) and sliced almonds. Enjoy!