Learn how to make homemade Vegan Baileys Almond Milk Liqueur with this quick and easy recipe. All you need to do is mix Irish whiskey, coffee, almond milk, cane sugar and a bit of vanilla and cocoa powder.
It’s Emese and I love Baileys! I don’t drink much alcohol, but if I have to choose just one of all alcoholic drinks, I would choose Baileys. I even toasted with it on our wedding. 🙂 Also my husband explicitly asked me to mention that he strongly prefers wine or beer. 🙂
So why I decided to make vegan Baileys. For one, the real deal can be quite expensive and two, because it is so damn easy to make a very very similar one.
Ingredients of Baileys Almande
At the end of 2017, Baileys launched the vegan version of the popular spirit and they called it Baileys Almande.
According to Baileys, this new Almondmilk liqueur is made from sweet almond oil and almond essence (extracted from crushed almonds), cane sugar and purified water with a touch of real vanilla.
Surprisingly, they don’t speak about coffee or whiskey as an ingredient. But why should they? Baileys is all about coffee. Also, everyone should know what kind of alcohol is in any Baileys. Well, Irish whiskey of course.
How to make Vegan Baileys at home?
Step 1 – Start with making a strong quality coffee
We have a neat little Nespresso Citiz & Milk machine, which we bought after our first daughter was born. Still loving it by the way especially after a long sleepless night. For this recipe, we made an espresso using a Nespresso capsule called Arpeggio. It is rather a strong medium in intensity as I prefer to have a distinct coffee taste in our Irish cream liqueur. Of course, you can use any other cold brewed or capsule coffee, but be sure to choose at least a medium one in intensity. Otherwise, you might not be able to taste the coffee in it at all.
Step 2 – Add all ingredients for your Vegan Irish Cream in a blender
- I only used unsweetened almond milk. There are some recipes with coconut milk, which is fine, but in any case, I prefer to drink my coffee with almond milk or hazelnut milk (Yum!). Not to mention Baileys also chose almond milk to create their Vegan Irish Cream.
- To remain as authentic as possible I used Irish whiskey. Feel free to use more, although I believe I used a fair amount. :))
- I also added cane sugar and vanilla extract as in Baileys Almande to get as close as possible.
- Last but not least, I added just a little bit of cocoa powder as I read that it is one of the not so secret ingredients of the Original Baileys.
Step 3 – How to drink Baileys
On the rocks. 🙂
I found these lovely heart-shaped chocolate molds to make healthy vegan gummy “bears” for my daughter (recipe still to come so stay tuned). But aren’t they also perfect for ice cubes? My Vegan Baileys just got a tiny bit more awesome.
This homemade Irish Cream recipe is vegan, vegetarian, so dairy-free and egg-free, but also grain-free and gluten-free.
You might ask here but is whiskey gluten-free?
Well… According to Coeliac.org.uk, all spirit drinks are safe to drink for people diagnosed with coeliac as the distilling process removes any gluten. That being said I also read in several websites that distilleries might add back some “mash” after the distillation has finished or they can use a wheat-based glue to seal the barrels or there might be some caramel coloring or other added flavor that might contain gluten. So proceed with caution and check with the manufacturer.
If you try this recipe, let us know. Leave a comment and rate it below.
What more you need to try it? If you’re ready, watch this short video:
Vegan Baileys Almond Milk
- Add all ingredients in a blender and mix for a couple of minutes.
- Serve chilled on the rocks. Shake well before serving. Store in fridge.