Walnut Crescent Cookies
Easy walnut crescent cookies dusted with vanilla sugar to make for Christmas. The original recipe is my grandmother's family recipe (see in Notes)
Servings 40 cookies
Add all ingredients (ground walnuts, oat flour, tapioca starch, coconut sugar, vegan butter) to a food processor and pulse until they form a ball. The ball has to be rather dry and not sticky. Add 1 Tbsp of oat flour if you feel it is too sticky.
Take your rolling mat and lightly flour it. Tear a small ball of dough and roll it out with your hands to form a long tube.
Cut the tubes into 6-8 cm long pieces (approx. 3 inches).
Take the 6-8 long pieces and form them into crescents.
Bake on parchment paper in a 350 Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) pre-heated oven for 12 minutes.
Dust them with vanilla powdered sugar while they are still hot. Leave them on the parchment paper to cool before transferring to anywhere else to avoid breaking.
MY GRANDMA'S ORIGINAL FAMILY RECIPE
- Flour your surface - I like using rice flour to dust my rolling mat. Rice flour seems to have a non-stick tiny ball-like consistency that just makes working with any dough easier.
- Dust them when they are hot - You need to dust the crescent cookies with powdered sugar while they are hot otherwise the sugar will not stick to them. I usually do that while they are still on the parchment paper as moving them while they are hot is not an easy task.
- Parchment paper instead of a baking sheet - I recommend using parchment paper instead of a baking sheet especially if you are making multiple batches. You can take out the parchment paper from the sheet pan and bake the next round, while the first round can cool down on its own. If you try to move them while they are hot, they will likely break.
- Place them close - As there is no baking powder, baking soda or any other type of leavening, they will not rise significantly. You can place them relatively close to each other.
- When are they ready? - If they start to brown, you are too late. The crescent cookies will almost remain the same in color before and after baking.
Combine all ingredients and follow the same steps as described above under Instructions.
- 170 g all-purpose flour
- 140 g butter
- 70 g powdered sugar
- 70 g ground walnuts
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 43kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 17mg | Potassium: 15mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 81IU | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg