Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Celery Root
If you have never tried adding other veggies to your vegan mashed potatoes then you are in for a treat. They make your mashed potatoes so unique that your guests will wonder: What is the secret ingredient? Or why does your version taste more flavorful than their usual recipe?
Servings 4 servings
- 16 oz Yukon potatoes 450 g
- 10 oz Celery root aka Celeriac 280 g
- ¼ cup Dairy-free milk or Cooking water 0.5 dl (we use our homemade cashew milk)
- 2 Tbsp Vegan butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Wash, peel and dice both potatoes and celeriac. The smaller you dice them the shorter will be the cooking time.
Cook the potatoes in boiling water until soft. Depending on the size of the cubes it can take from 15-25 minutes.
Drain potatoes and the celeriac, BUT reserve the cooking water if you don't want to use milk and butter.
Take a large bowl and add the cooked potatoes, the cooked celeriac, the vegan butter, the dairy-free milk, salt and pepper.
We use a hand mixer to make creamy and light mashed potatoes. First, without turning on we mash them a bit, then mix them until we get the right texture.
Top tips to make perfect mashed potatoes
With or without celery root
Try adding celery root (aka celeriac) or rutabaga or cauliflower or parsnip. We only add one other veggie at a time and only as much as not to deviate from the potato taste, but to get an extra zing at the end. If you don't want to add anything, just add more potatoes. :-)
- The smaller you dice the potatoes and the celery root, the shorter will be the cooking time.
- If you don't want to use vegan butter and dairy-free milk, reserve the cooking water and use that instead.
- You can certainly use an old fashioned potato masher or ricer, but it is harder to make sure it is 100% creamy and no chunks remain.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.3g | Protein: 2.6g | Fat: 5.9g | Saturated Fat: 1.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.6g | Sodium: 106.3mg | Potassium: 479mg | Fiber: 3.1g | Sugar: 3.3g | Vitamin A: 33.5IU | Vitamin C: 10.6mg | Calcium: 53.4mg | Iron: 0.7mg