Vegan Breakfast Casserole
This Vegan Breakfast Casserole is the perfect customizable, make-head, savory breakfast recipe with a quick & easy vegan eggy base, SEVEN veggies like hash browns, bell peppers, green peas, mushrooms, tomatoes and vegan sausage.
Servings 6 slices
- 3.5 oz Vegan sausages
- 2 Potatoes (large)
- ½ Onion (medium)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 + ½ cup Champion or White Bottom Mushrooms
- ⅔ cup Green peas (fresh, frozen or canned)
- ½ Bell pepper
- 4-6 Cherry tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil or Vegan butter for greasing the bottom of the baking dish
Prepare the vegetables
Peel and chop onion and garlic.
Gently wash any dirt off of the mushrooms by using a colander or a sieve. Dry them with a paper towel or clean kitchen cloth. We never peel mushrooms, but sometimes cut out the stem if they feel too dry or too hard. Slice them.
Wash and slice bell pepper into ¼-inch (4-5 mm) wide strips.
Wash and cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
Make the eggless base
Take a large bowl and add chickpea flour, baking powder, black salt, regular salt, and black pepper. Mix them thoroughly.
Add apple cider vinegar and half of the dairy-free milk and use a whisk to mix it well. Then add the other half and mix until you have a smooth pancake batter like liquid.
Fill your casserole dish
Pre-heat the oven to 390-395 Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
Grease the bottom of your oven-safe casserole dish (8 x 10-inch (20 x 25 cm)) with oil or vegan butter unless you really have a non-stick one.
First layer – Spread shredded potatoes, chopped onion and garlic.
Second layer – Add sliced mushroom, frozen (or canned) green peas, bell pepper slices and vegan sausage bits.
Chickpea flour base – Mix the eggless base, pour it on top of your veggies.
Add toppings – Add chopped cherry tomatoes or shredded vegan cheese (optional).
Bake in the oven for approx. 40 minutes. Enjoy! Serving ideas above the recipe card.
How to customize a vegan breakfast casserole?
If you don’t have all ingredients at hand, here are some tips on how to customize this recipe:
- Proportions – It is hard to mimic the same quiche-like, eggy texture perfectly in a vegan recipe. Therefore, we consider the eggless base as only a binder rather than the main ingredient. So you really need to pack this casserole with veggies and other ingredients. Otherwise, it can get very dense even if we chose to add baking powder to make it lighter.
- Vegetables – I like choosing a combination of vegetables in terms of texture, color and taste. This breakfast casserole will taste the best if you have a good variety. So we recommended choosing a handful of several ingredients, rather than a larger amount from 1-2.
- Legumes – This recipe will only work with canned or cooked legumes. You can add green peas, sweet corn, chickpeas, beans, lentils whichever you like and have at home.
- Other vegan protein sources – You can add vegan sausage crumbles, vegan bacon bits, vegan shredded chicken, tofu, TVP, vegan ground beef etc.
- Other toppings – You can also add some vegan shredded cheese at the top. As the baking time in a 8 x 10-inch (20 x 25 cm) sized casserole dish takes approx. 40 minutes, we recommend adding the cheese after 20 minutes.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 317kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 921mg | Potassium: 947mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 906IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 226mg | Iron: 7mg