Vegan Philly Cheesesteak
The best plant-based alternative to make Vegan Philly Cheesesteak is without doubt shredded oyster mushrooms (not cut, but torn apart). You will have the perfect beef-y texture and taste. Fill your hoagie roll with lots of sautéed mushrooms and a generous amount of vegan melted cheese.
Servings 4 servings
Marinate oyster mushrooms
Take your pearl oyster mushrooms. Cut the end of the stem off. Tear both cap and stem with your hand into shreds.
Take a bowl and make the marinade by mixing olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce or tamari, balsamic vinegar, oregano, cumin, paprika powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix this marinade with the oyster mushrooms. Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
Peel and finely chop onion.
Take a non-stick frying pan or skillet. Heat it to medium and add 1 Tbsp olive oil.
Sautee onion on medium heat for 5-8 minutes until golden brown, soft and tender. Take it off the heat and place them on a separate plate.
Sautee oyster mushrooms
Take the same skillet you used before for the sauteeing the chopped onion and heat it to high heat. Add the marinated oyster mushrooms in one layer (work in batches if you plan to make more servings). The amount in the recipe card is for 4 bread loaves, so we made them in two batches.
Stir with a spatula and fry the shredded oyster mushrooms until nice and crispy. It took us about 10-15 minutes tops. Add a dash of (1 tsp) olive oil if the oyster mushroom feels too dry.
Alternatively, you can bake them as we did in our Vegan Gyros recipe. Place a parchment paper in a sheet pan. Spread the shredded oyster mushrooms preferably in one layer. Pre-heat oven to 425 Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius) and baked them for 40 minutes or until crispy on the edges. Watch how it progresses, and flip occasionally to make sure all sides are nicely baked and crispy.
Assemble your vegan cheesesteak
Divide the mushrooms and the onions by number of servings. Add 1-1 serving to each side of the skillet.
Place 2-4 slices of vegan cheese on top and cover it with a lid.
When the cheese has melted, place the bread loaf cut in half (toasted even) and use a slotted turner to flip it over. Your vegan Philly Cheesesteak sandwich is ready. Enjoy!
Top tips to make Perfect Vegan Cheesesteak
- Use high heat - You need to fry the oyster mushroom shreds on high heat otherwise the liquid they release will not evaporate. In that case, the mushrooms will be cooked rather than fried. They will turn out soft, but not crispy. In our experience oyster mushrooms release less moisture than button mushrooms, but still high heat is what you need in this recipe.
- Adjust the amount of olive oil - It is enough to marinate the mushrooms shreds for 5-10 minutes. If you want to or need to marinate longer (like overnight), and the mushroom feels too dry, it means that probably all juices have been soaked up. You need to add a dash of olive oil to the skillet before frying to make sure it will not only get crips but cooked as well.
- Don't fry together onions and mushrooms - Onion needs medium heat as they will burn on high heat, while mushrooms need high heat to get them crispy. You can use the same skillet though as they can soak up each other's juices.
- Take into account the size of your loaf - When you decide on the size of the serving, take into account the size of your loaf. We form these mushroom-onion hills in the skillet based on how long our hoagie roll is.
- Melt more cheese on top - To make it even more decadent, add some shredded vegan cheese on top of your sandwich and place it under the broiler to melt it. So yummy! Like a double cheese cheesesteak. :-)
Serving: 1serving without bread | Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 977mg | Potassium: 377mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 170IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 2mg