Vegan Béchamel (Gluten-free)
Bechamel sauce is actually a simple white sauce with 3 main ingredients: flour, butter, and milk. Making a vegan version, not to mention a gluten-free one is super easy.
Servings 2 cup
Making vegan Bechamel
Heat frying pan on medium/low heat, and melt vegan butter.
Take the heat to low and add rice flour. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes until the "batter" is boiling up.
In a small bowl combined ½ cup of milk and corn starch. Add it to the pan and stir until combined.
Add the next ½ cup of milk and stir until combined. You need to go in small batches to make sure you get a smooth sauce. Go until you run out of milk. (Troubleshooting tips in the Notes section below.)
When the sauce has thickened, add the salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Secrets to a perfect vegan Bechamel
- Cook it on low heat -> You can start on medium until the butter is melted, but then turn the heat to low. If I am making a larger batch, I even take it off the heat for the beginning.
- Add milk in batches -> I usually go with ½ cup at a time.
- Use a whisk -> I always use a whisk, as I found it to be a fool-proof way to make the white sauce lump-free.
- Add seasoning at the end ->If the sauce is not thick enough or too thick you need to adjust the flour and the milk amounts (see notes below). If you add salt, pepper, nutmeg only at the end when the sauce reached the right consistency, you can be sure that the sauce will not turn out to be too salty or too peppery.
- Not thick enough? -> Add more flour but make sure you first dissolve it in a bit of milk. Like 1 Tbsp flour or starch - 2 Tbsp milk. Alternatively, you can take it off the heat, wait for it to cool a bit and add flour or starch directly in the sauce and stir vigorously with a whisk to avoid any lumps. Note: The sauce will thicken a bit more when it is cooling down.
- Too thick? -> Add more milk, like ¼ cup at a time.
- Help, I got lumps! -> Strain the sauce through a fine-mesh sieve before continuing to add more milk.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 247kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 791mg | Potassium: 333mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1462IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 330mg | Iron: 1mg