Vegan Brown Onion Gravy
You can make this simple and creamy vegan gravy under 20 minutes. It is a mild, but flavorful gravy using onion and garlic as the main ingredients. You will love it poured over your mashed potatoes or next to your favorite Thanksgiving or Christmas main dish.
Servings 2 cup
Make vegan gravy
Take a saucepan and heat it up to medium heat. When it is hot, add the vegan butter. Stir until it is melted completely.
First, add the finely chopped onion. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
Then, add the finely chopped garlic. Stir and cook for a minute.
Now, add the corn starch and use a whisk to mix them quickly and thoroughly.
No need to wait here. After the corn starch and the butter are combined, you can add the vegetable broth in 2 or 3 parts - at most ½ cup at a time. Mix until perfectly combined before adding more to avoid lumps.
Add soy sauce or tamari and whisk again.
The last one to add is the dairy-free milk also in 2 or 3 parts - at most ½ cup at a time.
Season at the end with salt, pepper and optional dried ground herbs like rosemary, thyme or sage. The vegan gravy is ready if it thickened to the desired consistency.
- Whole foods all the way - We like cooking with whole foods, so we use real onion and garlic instead of the powder versions. They will make the taste more real and authentic in our opinion.
- How to mince finely? - Have you preferred using powders only because you were afraid that the gravy will be lumpy if you cannot chop the ingredients finely enough? Well, here is what we recommend. For the garlic, we use this simple garlic press that makes it super easy to have finely minced garlic. For the onion, we use the chopping bowl of our hand blender. It chops the onion so finely, it is practically a puree.
- Add liquid in batches - To avoid lumps, make sure that you add any liquid ingredient ½ cup at a time and to mix thoroughly before adding more.
- Warm veggie broth - To avoid lumps, add warm veggie broth instead of room temperature or cold.
- Thickening the gravy - Start with 2 Tbsp of flour or starch and repeat if needed. Please note that the gravy thickens further while it is cooling.
Serving: 0.5cup | Calories: 87.5kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.3g | Protein: 1.1g | Fat: 6.1g | Saturated Fat: 1.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.8g | Sodium: 271mg | Potassium: 71.8mg | Fiber: 0.5g | Sugar: 1.5g | Vitamin A: 257IU | Vitamin C: 1.6mg | Calcium: 121.5mg | Iron: 0.3mg