Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
Veggie Skewers aka Vegetable Kabobs are the easiest way to eat a rainbow of delicious veggies during summer. The perfect side dish for your weekend bbq or grill party.
Servings 4 kabobs
Vegetables for your Kabob
- 1 Red onion (medium)
- 1 Corn
- 8 Champion or White bottom mushrooms
- ½ Bell pepper
- 4 Cherry tomatoes
- 1 Zucchini / Courgette (small)
- 1 Eggplant / Aubergine (small)
Quick Italian Herb Marinade
Peel and cut red onions into 8 equal pieces.
If you use small white button mushrooms, you don't need to peel or cut them. Just wash them. The same for cherry tomatoes. Nothing to do there except washing.
Wash the corn and cut it into 2-inch thick slices.
Wash the bell pepper. Take the stem and the seeds out by cutting it first in half. Then cut 2 x 2-inch square slices for the kabobs.
Wash the zucchini and the eggplant. No need to peel them. Cut them into 0.5-inch thick slices. You can even cut in half or in quarter the eggplant.
Get your skewers ready!
We usually put the vegetables that don't lose their size so much during cooking at the end, like corn, onion or mushroom. Leave a small space in between to ensure that the heat reaches all sides. If the veggies are pressed against each other tightly, you may need a longer time to cook them. Or even some will remain uncooked while for example, the cherry tomato will be vastly overcooked. Make sure to leave 1-2 inch free in both ends.
Quick Italian Herb Marinade
In a separate bowl whisk together all ingredients: olive oil, garlic powder, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Use a silicone brush to generously cover the veggies with the marinade.
Grilling your Vegetable Kabobs
On stovetop: The easiest way is if you have a grill pan and you cook them on a stovetop. First, heat the grill pan to medium, then place the veggie kabobs on it leaving a small space in between the skewers. Cook both sides for approx. 5 minutes.
In the oven: You can use a glass oven-safe dish or a baking tray with grill rack. Pre-heat the oven for 400 Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celcius) and grill them under the broiler for 10 minutes, turning the kabobs half time.
On a gas grill without burning: Our little trick is to use aluminum foil drip pans. Similar to the oven grilling, pre-heat your gas grill for 400 Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celcius) and grill the veggie kabobs for 10 minutes, turning them half time.
Skewers - 3 options to choose from:
- Wooden skewers* (usually made of bamboo) - You need to soak them for 20 minutes if you plan to use them on a gas grill. No soaking is needed for oven or stovetop.
- Metal skewers* (usually made of stainless steel) - Zero waste alternative.
- Herb stems as skewers (rosemary is one of the sturdiest) - Only for soft veggies like cherry tomato or bell pepper. Not recommended for a gas grill at all!!!
More delicious marinades...
-> olive oil, hot chili powder or chili flakes, sweet smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, oregano (or Mexican oregano if you can get your hands on it), salt, and black pepper. You can download the exact amounts from our Fajita Veggies post.
Spicy mixed herbs
-> olive oil, garlic powder, sweet paprika powder, chili powder, ground oregano, ground basil, ground rosemary, salt, and black pepper. You can download the exact amounts from our Cauliflower Steak post.
- For cutting, make sure to choose thinner corn. If your corn rings are too big, the other veggies will not touch the pan will be harder to get them cooked.
- Don't peel the zucchini and the eggplant as without their peel they might get too soft to stay on the skewers.
- We pre-poke the corn with a turkey lacer*.
- Leave a small space between the vegetables to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Watch kabobs frequently and brush them with the marinade after turning. It is especially important on the gas grill.
- Use tongs or heat-proof gloves to turn the metal skewers. They can still be hot after serving so be sure to let your guests know it.
- If you are using wooden skewers in a grill pan, you can easily turn them with your hands.
Serving: 1kabob | Calories: 166.6kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.9g | Protein: 9.3g | Fat: 2.3g | Saturated Fat: 0.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.9g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Sodium: 9.9mg | Potassium: 1447mg | Fiber: 10.9g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 1450IU | Vitamin C: 33.8mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 5.9mg