Although there’s wide variety of plant-based recipes one can choose from, still it’s great to have a classic dish once in a while from the “old world”. When it comes to a vegan spaghetti bolognese recipe you can find different substitutes to minced meat like tofu or mushroom but for me the best tasting one is the cauliflower and walnut bolognese.
This seemingly weird combination works because minced & braised cauliflower gives the texture of minced meat while walnut adds the meaty richness. Using the same spices like basil or oregano and the same tomato sauce you would use on a non-vegan Spaghetti Bolognese will give you a very similar result to what the classic recipe has to offer. You might even trick your meat-eating family and friends. All you need to do is mince the walnut and the uncooked cauliflower in a food processor like this one and cook them as you would minced meat.
As a final touch I’m adding vegan besamel sauce made with cashew nuts, which makes the Bolognese sauce even creamier and richer. The vegan besamel is very easy to make. Soak your cashews overnight. Then you can even use a simple hand blender like this one to mix the soft cashews with water and seasoning. It is ready now!
The recipe – apart from being vegan – is gluten-free. Choose a pasta of your liking and you are ready to enjoy this delicious Italian classic with a subtle twist. It is also perfect for lasagna if you prefer a different kind of pasta. :))
What more you need to try them? If you’re ready, watch our short Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese instuctions video on YouTube.
If you try this recipe, let us know. Leave a comment and rate it below.
Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese (with Walnut and Cauliflower Mince)
- 3 cup Cauliflower 300gr
- 3/4 cup Walnut 100gr
- Olive oil
- 1 Onion (medium sized)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp Sweet Paprika powder
- 2 cup Tomato sauce 500gr
- vegan Parmesan Cheese
- 2/3 cup Cashew nuts 100gr
- 1/2 cup Water
- Garlic powder
Cashew "Besamel" sauce
- Soak cashew nuts overnight (or alternatively you can soak them in boiling water for 20 mins).
- Drain cashew nuts, add water and blend until it is smooth.
- Chop onion and garlic. Mince walnut and cauliflower (only the rose) in a food processor.
- Heat up a larger frying pan, add olive oil and saute onion and garlic for a few minutes.
- Add minced cauliflower and cook for 3-4 mins. Then add minced walnut and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and season again if required.
- Add cashew "besamel" sauce at the end and cook until cauliflower is soft enough. Before serving, sprinkle it with vegan parmesan cheese. Enjoy!