Need a satisfying and veggie-packed lunch or dinner that is ready under 30 minutes? This simple chickpea curry might just be what you are looking for. It is a curry, so all the spices point towards Indian flavours. Although slightly milder as my wife doesn’t like too spicy and hot dishes. See what I need to deal with here. 🙂
What I always say is that if you have a tasty sauce or base recipe, you can just look into the fridge and throw any vegetables you like in them. Indian curry is a perfect dish for this. We call any dish a curry if we use a mix of Indian spices in a sauce with cream, milk, purée or broth. This time we had broccoli, mushroom and just way too many chickpeas, so here comes the inspiration for this simple chickpea curry recipe. However, you are welcome to try cauliflower or leafy greens instead of broccoli. Similarly, you can substitute lentils, sweet peas instead of chickpeas. And so on. Endless possibilities and combinations.
This recipe is really just a one-pot, simple chickpea curry for busy weekdays. All you need to do is cook the broccoli, the mushroom and the canned chickpeas in the curry sauce and they are ready to be served. I hate mushy veggies, so I always cook the broccoli a bit crunchy. This way you have something to bite on and enjoy the different textures. Start with broccoli and mushroom as they need more them to be ready, then at the very end add the canned chickpeas.
Now let’s talk about the Indian curry sauce. I used tomato sauce as a base and added mixed curry spice, kurkuma, cinnamon, sweet paprika and cumin. It smells great and it tastes great. If you are new to Indian food, don’t be sceptical, these spices are a great match. None of them overpowers the others or the veggies in this meal. I added the vegan cooking cream to even milder the flavours (for my wife and for any new comers to Indian cuisine :). I hope you will enjoy it!
What more you need to try them? If you’re ready, watch our short Chickpea Curry with Broccoli and Mushroom instructions video on YouTube.
If you try this recipe, let us know. Leave a comment and rate it below.
Chickpea Curry with Broccoli and Mushroom
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Onion (medium)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 3 cup Broccoli 200gr
- 3 cup Mushroom 200gr
- 1 cup Tomato sauce 240ml
- 1/2 cup Cream (I used dairy-free cooking cream) 120ml
- 2 tsp Sweet paprika
- 2 tsp Curry
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup Chickpea (canned) 300gr
- Chop onion and garlic. Cut broccoli and mushroom into smaller pieces.
- Preheat wok or frying pan at medium heat and add olive oil. Start with adding the onions. Once it's almost sauteed you can add the chopped garlic cloves. Sautee them together for a minute.
- Add chopped broccoli and mushroom and fry them for a couple of minutes stirring continuously.
- Add tomato sauce and pour hot water until vegetables are covered.
- Right after, add all seasoning: sweet paprika powder, curry, turmeric, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper. The amounts of spices I used will result in a medium intense curry flavor.
- Now simmer on medium heat (no boiling) the broccoli and the mushroom in the sauce. As we prefer the broccoli to stay a bit crunchy, we cook them for approx. 10 mins.
- When you like the texture of the broccoli, you can add the canned chickpeas and dairy-free cooking cream and bring it to boil. The chickpeas don't really need to be cooked as they are canned and ready to eat.
- Serve them with rice. Good appetite!