This Vegan Alfredo Sauce recipe needs only 5 ingredients. If you’re looking for a pasta sauce that is dairy-free and gluten-free not to mention creamy, delicious and ready in 15 minutes, you might want to read on. We even included 10+ creative recipes to use this easy alfredo sauce for.
What is a vegan alfredo sauce made of?
The traditional alfredo sauce is made of heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. To create a vegan (or dairy-free) alternative we substitute heavy cream with cashew cream and Parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast. Now, I will not say that they will taste exactly the same, how can they, but you might be surprised how good is this sauce on any pasta dish. We love them with our Vegan Sweet Potato Gnocchi. We even use the combination of the classic tomato-based spaghetti sauce and this vegan alfredo sauce to create our Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese recipe. By the way, this recipe is also part of our Quick Vegan Meals collection.
[Tweet “Easy vegan alfredo sauce and 10 creative recipes to use it via @mypureplants “]
How to make vegan alfredo sauce?
It will only take 15-minutes.
- First, soak cashew nuts in piping hot water for 5 minutes. You can do overnight soaking for sure no problem, but if you are in a hurry like most of us, you can boil water in a kettle and soak them for only 5 minutes.
- Your 5 minutes is up. Time to fill your blender. Add the soaked cashew and the dairy-free milk (like this homemade cashew milk) and blend them until smooth.
- Now, add garlic, nutritional yeast, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and finish off blending.
That’s it! Your egg free, milk free, creamy alfredo sauce is ready!
How do you store it?
You can keep it in the fridge for 2-3 days tops without any problem. I never had to freeze it as it is usually gone by day 2. If you try to freeze the sauce, let me know how it turns out.
Is it low in calories?
I’m not so sure. We calculated the nutritional value of our vegan alfredo sauce recipe by inputting it to Cronometer. 1 serving (the whole recipe is for 4 servings) has the total calories of 260. Well, not as high as the same amount of heavy cream, but definitely not for weight loss. Wait a minute, this is not why we love it. Raw cashews are high in protein (almost 10g per serving), high in Omega-6 (3.5g per serving), not to mention high in so many vitamins and minerals, it is hard to keep up with it. In this recipe, I also used fortified almond milk and fortified nutritional yeast. Therefore, if cashew doesn’t tick a box for something, these other ingredients will sure do.
What is vegan alfredo sauce used for?
You might think that alfredo sauce is simply for pasta, you cannot be more wrong. Sorry. 😉 We have collected some amazingly creative recipe ideas. All of the below links are guiding you to recipes using cashew alfredo sauce that are vegan AND gluten-free (or providing a gluten-free option).
Alfredo pasta sauce recipes
As it is primarily a pasta sauce, there is no surprise that most of the recipes featuring it are pasta recipes. Here is some variety you can start with:
- Vegan Sweet Potato Gnocchi by My Pure Plants
- Vegan Spaghetti Bolognese (with Cauliflower and Walnut Mince) by My Pure Plants
- Creamy Vegan Vegetable Primavera by Erica’s Recipes
- Pasta Alfredo with Sauteed Radicchio by Foodal
- Cashew Basil Veggie Lasagna by The Vibrant Veggie
Other unique ways to use alfredo sauce
If you would like to be a little more creative, try one of these recipes:
- Garlic Alfredo Pizza by The Vegan 8
- Creamy Alfredo Tortellini Soup by Contendness Cooking
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Alfredo Dip by Skinny Fitalicious
- Enchiladas Verde by The Simple Veganista
- Zoodle Salad with Creamy Cashew Sauce by The Fitnessista
If you try this recipe, let us know. Leave a comment and rate it below.
Shop this recipe
What more you need to try it? If you’re ready, watch this short video:
Easy Vegan Alfredo Sauce with Cashew
- Soak raw and unsalted cashew nuts in piping hot water for 5 minutes. You can do overnight soaking, but if you are in a hurry, you can boil water in a kettle and soak the cashew nuts for only 5 minutes.