Our idea of a perfect vegan and gluten-free breakfast is this savory, 3-ingredient, eggless french toast with bruschetta made from fresh, ripe tomatoes, basil and garlic. Yum! If you are looking for a quick and savory breakfast idea, search no further. This vegan or eggless french toast is super tasty, extremely filling and imagine that kid-approved.
Have you heard of vegan or eggless french toasts? Well, you need only 3-ingredients. Its main ingredient is chickpea flour also known as garbanzo flour, gram flour or besan. This is the flour, which the Indian cuisine uses for example to make pakora (fried vegetables in chickpea flour breading). It is naturally gluten-free, so it ticks the first box for me and not to mention protein-packed. According to Cronometer, 1 cup of chickpea flour contains more than 20 gramms of protein. I dare to call it superflour or superfood.
The next ingredient is dairy-free milk. (If you only need eggless french toast, but not vegan, you can certainly try it with cow’s milk. I imagine it should be the same.) We use homemade oat milk as according to our opinion for baking oat milk is the most natural tasting and least flavour-altering out of all dairy-free milks. Can’t really imagine coconut milk for example, but homemade cashew milk or almond milk might be just as good.
And the last ingredient of our eggless french toast is how we call it, the miracle worker that is black salt (like this one). Also known as kala namak has sulfur in them, which gives out a unique egg-like smell. Adding it to this mixture will fool anyone looking to eat real french toast. You don’t need much, just a pinch, but the smell from the kitchen will widespread around the house and the kids will know that you make eggless french toast for breakfast for sure. Mixing all ingredients in a bowl will take only as long as you kids reach the kitchen. Good appetite!
Savory Eggless French Toast with Bruschetta
Vegan French Toast
- Add chickpea flour into a larger bowl.
- Add pinch of black salt to have egg-like smell and taste. Season also with regular salt of your choice.
- Dip your choice of bread into the batter and place it into the pan. Turn the bread, once it has reached a light brown colour (it takes approx. 3-4 minutes).
- When other side is ready, take your eggless french toast out and enjoy.
- Chop tomato, onion and fresh basil leaves into fine pieces. Add them into a bowl.
- Add one clove of crushed garlic and one tbsp olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Mix well with a fork. Ready to add to your toast.